Since having Henry our lives have undergone a complete transformation. No more three-hour workout sessions everyday after work or going out with friends on a whim. Our time is no longer our own and some days even getting the simple things done feels like a major accomplishment. I used to have a daily TO DO List as long as my arm and most days I was able to accomplish most if not all of the items. These days I still have a list but I’m slowly learning to be gentler with myself if not every item gets checked off. I’m also learning to be more realistic about what I can accomplish while spending lots of time with Henry and trying to build in some time for self-care.
Since hubs is away a great deal self-care has become extremely important. Being on with the baby 24/7 means that I need to build in a little re-coop time when I can because I never know when we’re going to have a rough day or night. Overall Henry is a pretty happy little guy so thankfully we have way more good days than bad.
These days I’m having a great day if I can accomplish the following:
1. A quick breakfast in peace and quiet. I love breakfast!! Even before the baby I would wake up early so that I could eat a large and leisurely breakfast and enjoy a cup of coffee in quiet. These days I wait until Henry goes down for his first nap so that I can enjoy a few minutes of silence before launching into my daily tasks. Breakfast is always a toss-up between steel-cut oats or eggs. This morning I had an egg white veggie wrap and yogurt with fruit and homemade granola.
Last time I made granolaI was out of almonds so I used hazelnuts instead. I used my normal recipe and added hazelnuts and coco powder. The result was my best batch of granola thus far! I think I’ll be using hazelnuts in my granola from now on.
Granola (adapted from Cooking Light)
- 2 cups regular oats
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup sun flower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped silvered almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coco powder
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine orange juice, honey, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
- Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a cookie sheet pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 10 minutes; stir well. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
2. A 50 minute workout. Because hubs travels a lot for work getting to the gym isn’t always an option. Hubs introduced me to INSANITY. He and his co-workers had been using it at work for few months. I love the high intensity and that you need nothing but your own body weight. It is INSANE but what can I say I like to torture myself. 😉 I’m usually able to squeeze this in during Henry’s two-hour afternoon nap. On days when Henry isn’t feeling his nap I try to do a quick a quick Tabata series after he has gone to bed. When hubs is home I have a lot more flexibility. Thankfully I have an extremely supportive husband who makes it possible for me to get out to the gym once and sometimes even twice a day. Thanks Chris!! Today was yoga 🙂
3. A cup of tea in the evening. While this isn’t a new thing, I find that I am much more appreciative of this down time. It is a perfect time for me to catch up on some shows or read a book before going to bed. Ever since my friend Lynn introduced me to David’s Tea I’ve been hooked. My newest favourite is Cookie Dough. Their sweet teas are the perfect way to fight off the insatiable sweet tooth that I’ve developed since starting to breastfeed. That and some healthy baking 😉
4. Last but certainly not least – Henry smiles and cuddles. Somedays are better than others but if I’m able to get a smile or a cuddle it somehow makes up for the days when he’s super cranky or when he’s up all night.
Hope you’re all having a great Friday!
What little things do you enjoy?